Zoo Talk

God, life, job, politics, opinions, cooking, journal, shopping, bargains, and more.



Sunday, December 09, 2012

Putting food by

Besides bread making, I’ve been doing a lot of canning lately. You might be thinking canning season is over, but it’s really not if you have things in your freezer that need to be used or canned before they get freezer burned. And I do.

I’ve canned tomatoes, pork, soup, and turkey stock so far. I also canned some pumpkin butter, which is really delicious on just about any kind of bread or toast. I’ve still got more meat to can including a turkey that’s been in the freezer for quite some time now. I’ll have to get it thawed, then boil the legs, thighs, wings, and back. I’ll debone all that, can the meat and can any leftover broth. The breast portion will probably be roasted and we can use it in a number of ways, including canning part of it for turkey dumplings.

Technorati Tags: ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home