Zoo Talk

God, life, job, politics, opinions, cooking, journal, shopping, bargains, and more.



Sunday, April 14, 2013

Saturday and Sunday

Saturday was spent mostly in the gardens and yard. Son and I worked during the morning to get a bed finished off for planting. I’d used it last year but, in truth, there wasn’t enough soil and composted material in it to really support plants. So, we laid down more compost, put a layer of newspapers in, then put in about 3 inches of soil. By the time we’d finished that bed it was time for lunch, so we ate frozen pizza.

Went back out after lunch and finished that bed by planting tomatoes (three kinds of heirloom tomatoes – big boy, mountain something, and black), a half dozen sweet banana pepper plants, and a short row of summer squash. I laid newspapers all over the bed, from edge to edge and right up next to the plants and the squash row. Then we added a layer of leaf mulch to the whole thing and watered it down.

In another bed, where there is plenty of soil and composted materials, I planted a half dozen cayenne pepper plants and treated them the same as the first bed. There’s room in that bed for more stuff but I wanted the hot peppers planted away from the sweet ones. Otherwise, you wind up with them all being hot! I’ll plant jalapenos in the bed with the cayenne, then probably finish it off with okra.

There is yet another bed framed up but it needs to be filled with layers of newspaper, composted material, and soil before it can be planted.

After all that, we took a couple old feed sacks out around the yard, picking up trash and debris that has blown in during the winter storms, and that Neighbor’s dog dragged up. Also, picked up any downed limbs and pruned the fruit trees. I’m afraid one of my apple trees did not survive the winter, but the others are blooming and getting leaves. I’ll be looking for a replacement apple tree soon since it takes two of them for pollination.

Supper Saturday was old fashioned mackerel patties with gravy, rice, biscuits, and baked sweet potatoes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday was a lazy day. Son went to a tiny town up the road to get Sunday papers so we can see about the coupons. Other than that, not a very eventful day.

Had a late breakfast of bacon, biscuits and gravy when Son got back home. then we looked through the coupon inserts to see what we could use shopping. Next weekend is payday, so I’ll do my shopping then.

Did laundry and got that hung out. It’s a beautiful, sunny, breezy day. Just right for laundry on the line.

Supper will be leftovers from last night, but without the gravy. I’ll make the leftover rice into fried rice with a bit of veggies in it.

I had thought to get out and work in the yard today, but instead decided to just chill pretty much all day. I guess I got a lazy streak in me today!

Technorati Tags: ,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home