Zoo Talk

God, life, job, politics, opinions, cooking, journal, shopping, bargains, and more.



Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Stormy Wednesday

I had to be at work at 5:30 this morning, and it was already hot and muggy at that early hour. It’s been mere days since I’ve complained of the cold weather, so I’m not about to complain about the warmth…at least, not yet.

The sky was off and on overcast, with the clouds becoming darker and darker as the day progressed. A few times, the sun shone through the clouds but that did not make me happy. I know from living where I do that the sunshine on days like this will only serve to heat up the atmosphere and make it more unstable.

It did rain a little now and then, but it wasn’t until after I arrived back home this afternoon that the actual storms started rolling in. Thunder, lightning, heavy downpours of rain, and brief power outages were the worst of it for us, along with moments of high wind. Folks not too distant north of us, though, were hit by what is reported as a tornado. There was a lot of damage there – a church was destroyed, a semi was overturned on the highway, and many homes were damaged. I’m sure by tomorrow there will be even more reports of damage in the small towns and communities up that way.

We hurried to get supper on the table in case the storm knocked our power out. We also put our larger inverter under the hood of my truck, ran a power cord from it to inside the house, and waited to see if we’d need to hook it to the truck battery and start the truck running if the power stayed off. (That inverter will pull the battery down pretty quickly if we don’t keep the truck running.) We never did need the inverter so we’ll have to be sure and put it back inside before I go to work in the morning.

The local storm warnings were to end around 7:30 pm, but even as late as 9 pm we were getting some close-by thunder and lightning, and the power flickered off and on a couple more times. At the time I’m writing this, though, I think everything has moved on and out of our area.

Technorati Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home