Zoo Talk

God, life, job, politics, opinions, cooking, journal, shopping, bargains, and more.



Monday, April 01, 2013

Easter Sunday 2013

I had a wonderful weekend at Mom’s. I arrived Thursday evening around 8 PM, which was a lot later than I’d originally planned. However, my work day Thursday that began at 4 AM just wore me out. There’s more about that in the previous post.

The rest of the weekend, though, was fun. We prepared various foods, played cards one night, and worked on Mom’s jigsaw puzzles a lot of the time. I really enjoy working on the puzzles while I’m there. I don’t have the room to keep one set up in my own house, so that makes them pretty special when I go see Mom.
Easter Sunday, today, was especially delightful. My younger Daughter and her husband, and Sis’s daughter, joined us for Easter dinner. We had plenty to eat, too – baked ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, corn, pickles and olives, carrot-raisin salad, and homemade bread. We all enjoyed the conversation around the table about past cooking mistakes we’ve made. This came up for a couple of reasons.

One reason was that Sis made a pineapple upside down cake that wound up being too juicy on the bottom, plus she noticed the maraschino cherry halves were turned the “wrong way”. I didn’t notice it, and neither did anyone else, but she did! I’m pretty sure the delicious cake wasn’t hurt by cherries turned cut side up on it!

Another was that Sis’s oven wasn’t heating properly which made her rethink her plans about cooking a second dish of scalloped potatoes in it, and about getting the veggies heated up. (I had taken one dish of the potatoes over to Mom’s house to cook, so we had plenty.) It’s easier to put them in casserole dishes and warm them in the oven. That way, they can go from oven to table without messing up another pan and without the need to keep a watchful eye on them. It all worked out, though, as Sis wound up warming the veggies in the microwave. We all sat down to a delicious meal that she had planned well and worked hard on.

I left for home around 3:30. My visits there are always too short, but I’m already making plans for my next visit at the end of April.

Technorati Tags: ,

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4/01/2013 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Snn Your trip to your Mom's sounds lovely. We had Easter dinner here on the farm , Ham and all of the goodies to go with it
    I don't know if I told you that my Hubby has cancer. I think of you often and Danny's battle with it.
    take care I do read yout blog even if I don't post each day, 5 day a week trips to Joplin for his treatments is wearing on both of us

     
  • At 4/01/2013 10:08 PM, Blogger Ann crum said…

    Hi, LL. I'm so glad to hear from you. You've been in my thoughts and prayers. Yes, you did tell me about your husband battling cancer. I exactly know how it is to make those trips to the treatments. I remember feeling like a prisoner in shackles, being led here and there, and having no control over anything that's going on. I do pray he receives healing. Love you!

     
  • At 4/02/2013 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ann thanks for caring and sharing your thoughts. I'm just hanging in there praying for the best we go back to the cancer Doctor wed Love you

     

Post a Comment

<< Home