Zoo Talk

God, life, job, politics, opinions, cooking, journal, shopping, bargains, and more.



Saturday, October 28, 2006

Chilly night

In fact, it's been chilly since Friday morning. We've had a lot of rain..I mean a LOT. Plus, it's been windy and the wind is cooling things off quite a bit.

I really hate to see summer pass and winter approaching. I'm not a cold-weather person at all. And now, with having to work most every day at McDonalds, that means I have to get out in it, even if the weather is very inclement. Yet another good reason for another vehicle. One that's more dependable. Perhaps even one that will make it through the roads should we get snow or the dreaded but far more common, ice.

See, we get ice more often than snow, for some reason. We've had some pretty bad ice storms the past few years. Power lines down, trees down...all the things you'd associate with ice storms. We live on a hill which means when it's icy, we can get up the hill when we come home, and going down the hill is a slippery, dangerous prospect if we're already here.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure I need a pickup truck. I do NOT want to be on dangerous roads in some little lightweight car!

I also need to put together an emergency kit to take with me in whatever vehicle I wind up with. That way, I won't be in so much danger if I were to get stranded along the road. It also couldn't hurt to make sure we have emergency supplies here at the house in case we are iced in for a few days. Things like batteries, water, canned food, little cans of propane for the emergency stove plus extra regular propane for the heater and kitchen stove, and plenty of blankets.

We have an old water heater out back and I've thought about filling it with water. It'll hold 30 gallons. The main thing is getting it situated to where it could gravity-flow out and not depend on any sort of pressure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home